Today we all live in a world where without the internet, an individual feels that some essential thing is unavailable to survive. The internet has become equally important as we can say, food, water, and air. Without the internet, everything in the world seems to be impossible. Below, in this article, you can find the details about How to secure your home wireless network.
From a kid to an old age man, everyone requires the internet for their own needs. The internet has all and every kind of information which one needs and is available 24/7. There are many ways in which one can get a working internet connection through paying for Cellular, Wi-Fi, satellites, digital subscriber line (DSL), dial-up access are certain ways one can get an internet connection.
Nowadays, cellular and Wi-Fi are the most common ways by which an individual is accessing the internet connection. They both are the ways which provide easy and fast access to the internet. By the cellular form of internet connection, one can connect to the internet irrespective of its location. It is the most used way to connect the internet.
Wireless Fidelity or Wi-Fi is another most popular and most used way of internet connection. It is a wireless innovation technology for internet connection. It provides access to the internet to many people at one time at a particular place. Generally, one prefers the Wi-Fi connection for the home and their workplaces.
Like old times we don’t have to be at a particular place to access the internet, which is on our desktops. This technology can help one in accessing the internet from any corner of the house or the workplace. It has also made access to the internet very easy. But, as we know, there are two sides of a coin in the same way, Wi-Fi connection systems to have the cons as it has many pros.
Hacking is the most common crime which is committed in cyberspace. Wi-Fi networks are one of the targets of hackers to receive the data of activities of an individual connected to that network. So the security of the Wi-Fi connection is equally important as we secure our jewelry so that no one can use the information against us or in any other form, which can result in certain forms of danger or loss.
Following are some tips by which one can secure his Wi-Fi connection to be hacked and can increase the security of the Wi-Fi:
- One should always change the default name of the Wi-Fi network.
- The password which is set by you should be strong and unique. It should always include numbers, letters, and various symbols with the characters of your decided password.
- The access to the password should be limited.
- Network encryption language should be activated and should be increased to its maximum level to increase Wi-Fi security.
- The easiest way to secure your Wi-Fi network is by turning it off when you are not at home.
- The location of the router at home also plays a critical role. Setting the router in the middle of the house can save by keeping its signal ranges out of the range of outsiders as malicious persons can easily intercept it.
- A strong network administrator password should be set to increase Wi-Fi security.
- THE Default IP address on the wireless router should also be changed.
- The Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP) functionality on the router should also be turned off. This will help in the enhancement of Wi-Fi network security.
- The software of the router should always be up-to-date.
- The hardware firewalls in the router can also increase the security level of the Wi-Fi network connection.
- The devices connected to the router should also be protected, and their security should further enhance.
- The SSID should be blocked from sending out its identifier, which will result in hiding the network.
- Virtual private networks can also be used to improve privacy on the internet.
- For IoT devices like smart TVs, smart fridges, Alexa, and Google Home, there should be a separate network.
To secure the Wi-Fi network of your home is the most important thing one should keep in mind while taking the Wi-Fi network connection. And once a Wi-Fi network is connected, the securing of the data becomes most important, so to do the same, these mentioned steps will be beneficial. Even the non-tech savvy person can follow these steps very easily.